For most people, the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about vitamin C is a picture of citrus fruit. But this popular vitamin has many benefits for the skin when applied topically too. There are several forms of vitamin C in skincare but its most biologically active form is listed as L-ascorbic acid on ingredient lists.
Here are some advantages of Vitamin C for your skin
- It Protects Skin Cells from Environmental Damage: Vitamin C protects your skin from sun damage, unlike sunscreens that absorb or reflect harmful UV rays from the sun to prevent sunburn. Topical vitamin C offers protection through its role as an antioxidant. Sunscreens above SPF 50 do not offer greater sun protection and therefore using an antioxidant such as vitamin C will provide a more protective barrier. SPF and vitamin C complement each other and can be combined for optimal effects.
- Brightens Skin and Reduces Hyperpigmentation: The ingredient is also one of the gold standards for evening skin tone and boosting radiance. Vitamin C is a well-known skin brightener. It helps in fading dark spots and ultimately resulting in a more even complexion.
- It Firms Skin: Our skin is made of collagen and elastin, which are proteins that give it structure and elasticity. As we age, the production of collagen decreases and our skin beings to look and feel less firm. Daily application of vitamin C helps to maintain the integrity of the collagen that we have, prevents rapid breakdown and promotes collagen production.
Added Advantages of Vitamin C-
- Acts as armour ur against pollutions and other free radicals.
- Protects and increases collagen production
- Aids wound healing
- Reduces wrinkles
How to Include Vitamin C in your daily skincare Routine-
- The ideal time to use a skincare product, such as a serum or moisturizer, is in the morning.
- Vitamin C works best when coupled with sunscreen
- To prevent excessive skin irritation, avoid pairing vitamin C with retinol
- Start slowly, use vitamin C once a day at a lower concentration and increase to twice a day as tolerated.