When picking a new hair colour, it is essential to consider the undertone of your skin. So, what exactly is an undertone? All of us have skin in varying shades of peach, beige, orange, and brown. But, within that, there’s some which can be more Pinky-peach, yellow-beige, orangey-golden, greenish-brown, and so on. As the name suggests, our undertone is that underlying tone that gives our colouring a specific tint.
There are three main types of undertones; Cool, warm and neutral.
Here are a few tricks that will help identify the undertone of your skin.
Colour of your veins: Check the veins on your wrist.
- If they appear Blur or Purple, you have cool-toned skin.
- If they are more Green or olive, you have warm undertones.
- Lastly, if you have bluish-green veins, you are sliding on the scale of neutral.
Jewellery: Jewellery can loosely help you determine your undertone.
- If you gravitate towards gold jewellery, you are likely to have warm undertones.
- If you prefer the way silver jewellery look on you, you probably have cool undertones
- Both! If you go back and forth between gold and silver jewellery, you may have neutral-toned skin.
White Sheet Test: Look in a mirror and hold a blank, white sheet of paper up to your face
- If your face looks more yellow, you have warm-toned skin
- If your face looks pinker and rosier, you have cool-toned skin
- If you see both colours in different parts of your face, you have neutral-toned skin.
(Pro-tip: If you are still confused about what undertones your skin has, you have neutral undertones!)
Here are the perfect hair colours for your skin tone
Warm Skin: If you have warm-toned skin, these hair colours will suit you the best.
Blonde: Golden blonde with yellow undertones.
Brown: A warm, rich brown with red and orange undertones
Red: Reds that are inching towards a copper shade
Fashion colours: red, orange, and yellow look stunning on warm-toned skin
Cool Skin: If you have cool-toned skin, these hair colors will suit you the best.
Blonde: Ashy, icy blondes with blue undertones.
Brown: Cool toned brown, no visible yellow undertones.
Black: Dark, jet-black hair.
Red: Reds with purple undertones
Fashion colours: Purple, blue, and green.
Neutral Skin: If you have neutral skin, go wild! Because it will suit you anyways!